In 1928, Lee and Ann Withers bought a part interest in a sawmill in Woodburn that was then called Livesay–Withers Lumber. They relocated from McMinnville to Woodburn and quickly became part of the new community where they would spend the rest of their lives.
First, in 1929 the stock market crash plunged the country into depression. Then in 1931, after hard times and pressue from a local competitor, the Livesay-Withers group could not survive and they went ahead and sold.
In 1934, Lee and Ann borrowed money from friends and family to scoop up another lumber yard, and they purchased their second yard from a long-term competitor at Mt. Angel.
As the 50s began, both Woodburn and Mt. Angel lumber yards started to grow and more people were hired. Both locations hired local folks and were vital parts of the community, especially if a church needed to be built or a barn raised.
In 1962, eldest son Bob came home from the service and went to work full-time in the same town where he had grown up.
The Woodburn store was now the much larger of the two locations and Lee, Ann, and Bob all worked there along with 10 other employees. There were so many colorful characters like “Shorty”, “Slim” and “Big” Bob Wellman, who really made the company what it is.
Looking forward to retirement, Lee and Ann stepped out of the ring. Son Bob took over in 1964 and opened Brooks Lumber in 1965. Brooks served the Salem area, and eventually Brooks Lumber became Withers Lumber...
In 1998, Bob retired and Son Trent took the reins. As the company entered its third generation, more expansion took place...
In 2004, the Silverton store opened.
In 2010, the Molalla store opened.
Withers wanted to bring more than just lumber to the community, so they opened a showroom focusing on the best window and door products. Homeowners and professionals alike can select top-quality window and door supplies for any building project.